How to Download & Install Node.js and NPM on Windows
Details: Download and Install Node.js
Installing Node-JS and npm on Windows or Linux is very easy and does not require any special skills or knowledge. You just have to follow a few steps, type some commands into your terminal emulator application window, and your computer will be ready to use these tools within minutes!
Node.js makes use of custom modules by embedding third-party or external functionality, these modules can be installed individually and an example is the MongoDB module which enables you to work on its databases from the Node.js application.
How to Install Node.js on Windows
To be able to successfully use the Node.js application, follow the step-by-step process to download and install the application on Windows;
1) Download Node.js Installer for Windows
Visit the website https://nodejs.org/en/download/ and download the needed binary files.
For the sake of this tutorial, we will be downloading Node.js on Windows with the setup files for 32-bit.
2) Run the installation
Double click on the downloaded .msi file to start the installation.
Click the Run button on the first screen to begin the installation.
3) Proceed with the installation steps
On the next screen, click the “Next” button to continue with installation
4) Accept the terms and conditions;
On the next screen, Accept the license agreement and click the Next button.
5) Set up the path;
On the next screen, choose the location where Node.js needs to be installed and then click on the Next button.
1. First, enter the file location for the installation of Node.js. This is where the files for Node.js will be stored after the installation.
2. Click on the Next button to proceed ahead with the installation.
6) Select the default components to be installed;
Accept the default components and click on the Next button.
7) Start the installation
On the next screen, click the Install button to start installing Node.js on Windows.
8) Complete the installation
Click the Finish button to complete the installation.
Windows is now recommending that developers use Node.js with WSL2(the Windows Subsystem for Linux)Tooltip content
How to Install NPM on Windows 10/8/7
Another method to install Node.js on any client machine is to use a “package manager.”
On Windows, the NPM (Node Package Manager) download is known as Chocolatey. It was designed to be a decentralized framework for quickly installing applications and tools that you need.
For installing NPM on Windows via Chocolatey, the following steps can be followed.
1) Installing Chocolatey – Visit the Chocolatey website. You can find directives on how to install the framework.
- The first step is to run the below command in the command prompt windows. This command is taken from the Chocolatey website and is the standard command for installing Node.js via Chocolatey.
- The below command is a PowerShell command which calls the remote PowerShell script on the Chocolatey website. This command needs to be run in a PowerShell command window.
- The PowerShell script does all the required work of downloading the components and installing them appropriately.
@powershell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command “iex ((new-object wet.webclient).DownloadString(‘https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1’))” && SET PATH=%PATH%;%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\chocolatey\bin
2) The next step is to install Node.js to your local machine using the Chocolatey, package manager. This can be achieved by running the command below in the command prompt.
cinst nodejs install
If the installation is successful, you will get the message of the successful installation of Node.js.
Note: If you get an error like “C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\lib\libreoffice\tools\chocolateyInstall.ps1” Then manually create the folder in the path
In conclusion: Install Node.js
We have seen the installation of Node.js through the MSI installation module, which is available on the Node.js website. This installation installs the essential modules which are expected to run a Node.js application on the client.
Node.js can likewise be installed through a package manager. The package manager for windows is known as Chocolatey. By running a few straightforward commands in the order prompt, the Chocolatey package manager automatically downloads the fundamental files and afterward installs them on the client machine.
Recommended: Creating Hello World Application in Node.js